Tuesday, January 1, 2008

happy boop year and CALENDAR

Hi friends. Hope that all your eves were lovely and Garth/Wayne-worthy.

I rang in the new year with The Dresden Dolls. They, and their posse of amazing performance artists, made for a very enjoyable night. I love how you can just feel the love all around at Dresden Dolls shows. It's just absolute adoration from the audience to the bands and vice versa. Perfect for NYE.

They played at the Grand Ballroom in Manhattan, which I've never been to before. Quite beautiful inside, and filled to the brim with the eclectic costumes and makeup of Dresden fans. Gowns, wigs, masks, corsets, fishnet, and hula hoops abound. An amazing man spun and spun around inside a giant metallic hula hoop to our amazement. Seriously, he was amazing and he defied gravity in his dance with the hoop. Meow Meow bared her self and sang in all sorts of accents in her caberet performance. Also, she crowd surfed all the way to the bar for a whiskey and no one even reached out and grabbed her boobs. Such a nice crowd. The Luminescent Orchestrii performed a very middle eastern, jamboree, blues, hip-hop, funk-influenced set complete with Miss Katie Kay's belly dancing skills. I liked the hip-hop food song they did.

The Dresden Dolls opened with a spoof of "In the Flesh," by Pink Floyd. Dressed in fascist military garb, it was quite an attention-grabbing opener, much to my delight. They came on with about 25 minutes until midnight, sounding absolutely tight and amazing. The countdown was preceded by a cover of The Beastie Boy's “Fight for Your Right (To Party).” YES. Quite a countdown indeed. Confetti and streamers everywhere. Kisses and hugs.

A lot of old songs were played, along with newer. Some that never really get played live. Amanda played a song off her forthcoming solo album. Brian rules so so so much. Watching him drum triggers all sorts of "hell yes!" reactions in me. Amanda's voice quickly went downhill though, due to a sickness, and it probably didn't help with all the beer-chugging that she did the whole night. Instrumental parts remained kick-ass the entire night.

I had a ball on the subway ride home, watching and listening to all the idiotic and asinine NYE shenanigans. Today I'm going to clean the apartment a bit and cook a lovely dinner.

But! wait! I have a present! Last friday, I was endlessly searching in B&N and online for a worthy calendar to put on my wall at home and at work. Very few caught my eyes and I mostly just felt frustrated. Lo and behold, Nate saved the day. I got home and excitedly opened a pretty package from one of my favorite people and, he read my mind! Calendar! Cupcakes make people happy calendar! Hooray! So this will joyfully hang up in my office at work, but I still had to come up with something at home. So! I made my own to print out and you can have it too. Since I only thought about this like, 3 days ago, I only have done the month of January so far. I got to thinking that it would be cool to release the next months towards the end of the present month, but quickly vetoed that since I like to write down things several months in advance. Did that sentence make sense? I didn't think so. But anyways. I'm going to work on the remaining months this month and put them up online for download. January is up for now. I like this idea and I'll think ahead next year. I'll add that to my list of resolutions (I really don't have a list, that was a lie.)

love and cinnamon buns,
michelle


Calendar, month of January:

This will fit on an 11x17 sheet of paper. I made a B/W and a color version.

January-Color version for you to print out (right-click, save as on PC. I don't know what you mac peeps do): http://www.myzoetrope.com/images/Doodles/2008%20calendar/January-color.jpg

January-Black and White version: http://www.myzoetrope.com/images/Doodles/2008%20calendar/January-bw.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment