Thursday, September 24, 2009

Portland-Part 2-The sights

Pretty roses, found while walking around the lovely SE section. I also really enjoyed walking around near Mount Tabor. Million dollar homes everywhere and so quiet that you could hear a pin drop.

Hoyt Arboretium. I went here last time I was in Portland, and I had to come back. Such a beautiful and quiet place to hike around in. There was a mysterious electric guitar coming from the middle of the forest (??? It doesn't make sense to me either!), but Nik and I couldn't locate it. Weird!




We drove to Cannon Beach on sunday! I thought it would be a scenic drive, but it turns out to be kind of a sad one, with all the deforestation everywhere. The coast, however, was quite lovely. It was chilly, but I had to take off my socks and shoes and walk along the shore. It's just one of those things that you have to do (Nik didn't believe me). It was such a nice beach and the water was sparkling and so clear. High tide was coming in, but in such a peculiar way. Very irregular, and taking quite a few people by surprise who were laying out on blankets! I would love to come back there or to other nearby areas along the coast on a hot summer day and stay for a couple days.








Bridges!

Random parade at a street fair in Alberta!


Okay, so the 24-hour Church of Elvis was NOT at all what I was expecting. I thought it might be a store or a kitsch gallery of some sort, but this was literally all it was. And of course I was a sucker and put a quarter in, to see what would happen. There was a long-winded story about how it was going to take my picture and send it to Elvis, but then it said it was having technical difficulty and Elvis would have to get back to me. Haha, you can also get married there by the king, for an additional 50cents.


Being goofy and killing time before our flight, in Pioneer Square:




No comments:

Post a Comment